Update: Since I posted this recipe I have become a vegetarian however the flavor of the ham is still nice without eating it fully.
Artichoke with Ham
- 2 kg small, tender fresh artichokes
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 150 g diced serrano ham pieces
- Olive oil
Instructions - How to Make
- Prepare the artichokes: rip off the outer leaves, until you get to the last several inner leaves that are more tender and a lighter green. Slice off the tops of these leaves and the stem, so what you have remaining is just the innermost part of the artichoke.
- Cut these into quarters and toss with the lemon juice.
- Heat a skillet with just enough olive oil to barely cover the bottom, add the garlic and serrano ham and sauté just a few moments on med-high heat, then add the artichoke hearts.
- Cover and reduce the heat to medium, adding a little water, and let cook until the artichokes are tender.
- Check often to be sure it is not too dry; add water as needed for the artichokes to cook, until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Once they are tender, uncover, increase heat to high, and let the liquid evaporate (do not drain off), until there is just a little left in the pan. Salt to taste and serve immediately.
- Serves four to six as a first course or a light dinner