- 1 cup olive oil
- four large potatoes (peel and cut into small pieces about 2mm thick)
- four large eggs
- one large onion, thinly sliced
- salt to taste
Instructions - How to Make
- Some people add thin slices of red pepper together with the onion.
- Heat the oil in a 9-inch skillet, add potato pieces, one slice at a time so that they don't stick. Alternate layers of potato and onion. COOK slowly, medium flame. DO NOT FRY!!
- Turn occasionally until potatoes are tender, but NOT brown. They must be loose, not "in a cake".
- Beat eggs in a large bowl with a fork.
- Salt to taste.
- Drain potatoes.
- Add potatoes to beaten eggs, pressing them so that eggs cover them completely.
- Let sit for 15 minutes. Heat 2 tbsps of the oil in large skillet.
- Add potato-egg mixture, spreading quickly.
- Lower the heat to medium-high.
- Shake pan to prevent sticking (crucial step!!)
- When potatoes start to brown, put a plate on top skillet and flip to cook other side, adding another tbsp of oil.
- Brown on the other side.
- Can flip three or four times for better cooking.